Dr. Yuval Bar-Or is a leading expert in decision-making in the context of risk. He is an Assistant Professor at Johns Hopkins University’s Carey Business School where he teaches finance.
Dr. Bar-Or has been a contributor on Forbes.com. He has been quoted in various media, including The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, BusinessWeek, TheStreet.com, The Baltimore Sun, Bankrate.com, Investopedia.com, InvestmentNews.com, AdvisorOne.com, The Arizona Republic (azcentral.com), FoxBusiness.com, US News & World Report, Consumers Digest, Treasury & Risk, Morningstar.com, RIABiz.com, cdtv.net, Power of Attorney Radio, TheOlympian.com, and The Washingtonian Magazine.
Dr. Bar-Or holds a Ph.D. and M.A. in finance from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, as well as a M.A. and B.A. (summa cum laude) in economics, and a Bachelor of Engineering degree from Canada’s McMaster University.
In 1998, Dr. Yuval Bar-Or established The Light Brigade in the belief that enlightened decisions – those made with better knowledge of facts and consequences – will result in lower personal and corporate risk. His company consults in the areas of financial literacy education, business management and corporate credit risk. He is the author of several books, including Play to Prosper: The Small Investor’s Survival Guide, and the Pillars of Wealth series for physicians and dentists.
The Light Brigade owns and operates the following websites:
Dr. Bar-Or has global managerial experience with top and bottom line responsibilities. Prior to launching The Light Brigade, Dr. Bar-Or held senior strategy and operations roles with some of the world’s leading risk management firms, including KMV and Algorithmics. His roles have included managerial responsibilities in New York, Toronto, London, Singapore, and Australia.
Yuval Bar-Or has significant experience in corporate turnarounds and strategy, including assessment of strategic partners and acquisition prospects. Dr. Bar-Or has also lectured extensively in academic and professional settings on the subjects of decision making, risk management, and financial literacy.
Born in the USA, he spent over a decade in Israel and Canada, where he completed three university degrees at McMaster University. He lives in the Eastern United States, and is currently pursuing a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
Dr. Yuval Bar-Or’s Publications:
- Pillars of Wealth: Finance and Business Essentials for Medical Practices, TLB Publishing: Ellicott City, Maryland, Revised edition, 2017
- Pillars of Wealth: Personal Finance Essentials for Medical Professionals, TLB Publishing: Ellicott City, Maryland, February 2014
- Crazy Little Risk Called Love, TLB Publishing: Springfield, New Jersey, July 2012.
- “For Better Rating Agencies Go Back To Campus” (November 18, 2011), Forbes, Yuval Bar-Or
- “Sovereign Credit Ratings: Relics Of A Bygone Era” (October 28, 2011), Forbes.com, Yuval Bar-Or
- “Hurricanes Drive Home Appeal Of Alternative Energy Sources” (September 6, 2011), Forbes, Yuval Bar-Or
- “The Wrong Conversation About Credit Ratings Agencies” (August 8, 2011), Forbes, Yuval Bar-Or
- “A Financial Advisory Model For Small Investors” (July 21, 2011) Forbes, Yuval Bar-Or
- “Kroll Gets Into Bond Gumshoe Biz, Faces Sticky Issues” (June 10, 2011), Forbes, Yuval Bar-Or
- “Launch Sequence For Human Genome Stocks” (June 7, 2011) Forbes, Yuval Bar-Or
- “LinkedIn’s 1999-Style IPO Rekindles Questions About Leaving Money On The Table” (May 19, 2011) Forbes, Yuval Bar-Or
- Bar-Or, Yuval. “Calculating (Small) Company Credit Risk,” Investopedia.com, March 2011.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. “Explaining Your Value As a Broker,” Investment News, October 10, 2010.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. “Rating Agencies Should Get A Death Sentence,” Forbes.com, September 24, 2010.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Play to Prosper: The Passive Investor’s Game Plan. TLB Publishing: Springfield, New Jersey, April 2011.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Play to Prosper: The Small Investor’s Survival Guide. TLB Publishing: Springfield, New Jersey, August 2010.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Is a PhD for Me? Life in the Ivory Tower: a Cautionary Guide for Aspiring Doctoral Students. TLB Publishing: Springfield, New Jersey, May 2009.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. Leveraging People for a Corporate Turnaround: Leadership and Management Guidance for Organizational Change. TLB Publishing: Springfield, New Jersey, January 2009. A contract has been signed with China’s Commercial Press for Chinese translation and distribution rights in Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.
- Bar-Or, Yuval. “Blind Spots in Current Risk Management Practices: Measurement Error” Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions, Volume 1 No. 4, July 2008
- Bar-Or, Yuval, “An Investigation of Expected Financial Distress Costs,” Doctoral Dissertation, University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School of Business, 2000
- Bar-Or et al., “The Wage Premium to a University Education: 1971-1991,” Journal of Labor Economics 13 (Oct. 1995)
- Bar-Or et al., “Canadian Experience-Earnings Profiles and the Return to Education in Canada: 1971-1990,” McMaster University Economics Department, Working Paper 93-04
- Bar-Or et al., “Canadian Experience-Earnings Profiles in the 1980s,” McMaster University Economics Department, Working Paper 92-08
Dr. Yuval Bar-Or’s profile on Linkedin:
Dr. Yuval Bar-Or’s Professional Memberships:
Anyone Can Learn, Yuval Baror.com, Yuval Bar-Or.com, Yuval Bar-Or.info, Yuval BarOr.info, TLB Publishing, Respect Risk, Credit Solutions Demystified, YuvalBar-Or.org, Leadership Risk, Science Says, are all properties of The Light Brigade.